Netherlands Visas and Work Permits

Enquire Now

Netherlands Work Visa and Permits

Companies expanding into a fresh international market such as the Netherlands, find work permits and visas a major issue. Organizing these along with moving staff across the world, or recruiting within the new territory, would require an in-house specialist department. And every new country presents new demands.

Few companies have these resources … or the time. Bradford Jacobs, as a global payroll service provider, have the resources and the time. We are experts in hiring staff, applying for work visas and ensuring employees meet Dutch work and business visa requirements with the correct documentation. 

Dutch Work Permits

Foreign employees normally need a Dutch work permit (TWV). However, European Union, Europe Economic Area (comprising the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) and Swiss nationals are exempt.

Hiring from outside the EU, the EEA or Switzerland needs a TWV or a Combined Work and Residence Permit (GVVA) and the vacancy must be logged with the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) first. When companies outsource recruiting, these agents must apply for the work permit.

What are the types of Dutch Work Permits?

1: The Combined Work and Residence Permit (GVVA) is for all non-European Economic Area nationals working for more than three months

2: The TWV standard work permit is for those ineligible for a combined GVVA permit, including Non-EEA nationals and foreign company employees seconded to the Netherlands.

3: The European Blue Card is for highly-skilled workers with at least a Bachelor's degree and a Dutch employment contract for at least €50,974pa.

Permanent residency becomes a possibility after five years on a work permit.

What is required to obtain a Dutch Work Permit?

Dutch work permits require an employment contract at least matching the minimum wage for employees over 23 years old and proof there were no suitable candidates among Dutch or other EU / EEA nationals.

Necessary documents include:

  • A valid passport and recent passport photographs
  • Completed application document
  • Proof relevant fees are paid
  • Proof of work or study, depending on requirements of visa type
  • Documents must be legalized and translated and can be provided in Dutch, English, French or German

Applying for a Netherlands’ Work Permit

Applicants from the Schengen zone (the passport-free area covering most European countries) can obtain a short-stay Schengen visa allowing stays up to 90 days for tourism or business. Stays longer than 90 days require applying for a Dutch visa. Non-EU citizens must have a work permit, usually applied for by the employer.

Processing applications should take less than five weeks, but does not exempt the holder from visa requirements (excluding GVVA Combined Work and Residence Permits).

The Immigration and Naturalization Service, Ministry of Justice and Security process applications at:

How much is a Dutch Work Visa?

Different visa charges depend on the applicant’s nationality and the type of employment. Visa charges for intra-corporate transfers and employing highly-skilled migrants vary from €290 to €174 (the latter in the case of long-term EU residents) under a variety of employment categories. Applicants should always check current costs.

Dutch Work Visa

Working in the Netherlands for more than 90 days requires a work visa, which acts as a residence permit for foreigners for employment purposes.

Netherlands Business Visa

A Netherlands business visa, or a short-stay visa or C Visa, allows the holder to travel anywhere in the Schengen area, including the Netherlands, for a maximum 90 days within a six-month window and depends largely on the applicant’s nationality. The visa is not required for Schengen, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens.

Dutch Visa for EU citizens

Citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland do not need a visa, only the passport (or ID card) of their home country as sufficient evidence of their eligibility to live and work. Those planning to stay more than 90 days must register with the local municipal records database to obtain their Citizen Service Number (BSN).

Dutch Visa for U.S. Citizens

Netherlands’ Schengen membership means U.S. citizens may stay up to 90 days for tourist or business reasons without a visa. Passports must be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay and visitors need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. An ETIAS (European Travel and Information Authorization System) approval will be required for every U.S. citizen visiting for periods less than 90 days starting from December 2022.

Dutch Visa for Canadian Citizens

An ETIAS (European Travel and Information Authorization System) approval is required for every Canadian citizen visiting for less than 90 days since January 2021. A valid passport is required to enter the Netherlands from Canada. All tourists entering Dutch territory from another Schengen country just need a national identity card. Passport and travel documents must be valid for a minimum of three months beyond the intended stay. Passports (or equivalent travel documents) issued more than 10 years before the date of travel, may not be accepted.

A Schengen visa is mandatory for Canadians staying more than 90 days. The ETIAS authorization is valid for five years and an unlimited number of entries for up to three months in each six-month period.

Dutch Visa for Chinese Citizens

Chinese residents planning to stay more than 90 days may need a long-stay MVV visa. Applications can be made at the Netherlands Embassy in Beijing or at the Consulates-General in Shanghai or Guangzhou. Check here for details:

Work with Bradford Jacobs’ PEO Services

Bradford Jacobs are a global authority on Dutch work visa requirements and the vital link to solving complex visa, work permit and residency issues. Mistakes will be costly to your business plans and waste valuable time. Don’t take the risk. Contact Bradford Jacobs now – we have the answers.